Monday, June 9, 2008

Day Seven - the Saturday before

My wife, my son and I cut the in-laws yard. They live out in the country and it's a huge yard. My son gets over-tired and asks to quit before we're done. I tell him absolutely. He did a lot of work and deserves a break. But then he refuses to go saying that he really wants to serve his grandparents. That kid amazes me.

My sister in-law and her daughter come down for the day. They arrive just before we finish the lawn. First thing we do together... hit the pool. We swam and swam. Then we took a break for lunch and went swimming. It wears you out a bit after a while.

I stepped on a scale at one point. I've lost 20 pounds since February. I'll bet 15 of them went today.

I wasn't hungry for dinner. I got really sleepy and was sort of worried about making it through the night, but... took the missus out for a date. My energy came back to me the second we were alone in the car together. Together alone.

We got coffee (which I loved) and saw the new Indiana Jones movie (which I hated).

It was worth the price of admission to see Indy and the amazing Marion again... but everything else drove me nuts. The tarzan scene. The sword fight while getting flogged in the pants by passing branches. The waterfalls. The tree elevator. The constant Lucas/Speilberg self references. The fridge. The prarie dogs. The CGI. Spalko's accent ... like they couldn't've found a Russian actress. It was all a bunch of nails on chalkboard for me. Is that bad?

By the way, something I didn't understand. Why wouldn't the beings have recovered the skull? Even though it's been 9,000 years... We know they're still on Earth (Roswell and the 2 Russian crash-sites). We know they're committed to moving in secret. We know that they simply needed the skull for the saucer to make the return trip. I think I may have missed something as to why that expedition was beyond / beneath them.

I noticed that Iron Man was getting ready to start so I snuck us in thinking that we deserved a good movie, but I felt actually guilty so we left.

We went home and walked and looked at stars and said loving things to each other and called it a night.

No comments: