Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day Five - Thursday Before

I'm not sure what to watch while the family's away.


I found a copy of the new Indiana Jones movie, but I don't feel right about watching that without my wife. I also found a copy of Be Kind Rewind, but I don't feel right about watching a movie with Jack Black & Mos Def - one's really annoying and the other's never made a good film...


Hrm... tough call. It's a very important decision with serious implications. I'm overwhelmed by the weight of it.


The morning went okay, but was somewhat "hurried" again. I rode in with the family and even though we all got a good night's sleep... no one seemed to be moving at the right speed.


I was told that a co-worker might want to apply for my open assistant's position. I must admit I've thought she'd be great in the position and could probably appreciate the promotion, but I have not wanted to take one of my boss's employees (esp while she's away taking care of her fading mother). I'm not quite sure how to proceed really.


Got stuck in recon hell after that. Skipped lunch looking for my lost $254.63... which, upon further investication, grew to $13,476.08... I found everything but $1,400.00 in the end... but I had to skip lunch to do it.

After work, the family held a lemonade stand. This was my son's idea. He's in Vacation Bible School this week... and they're trying to raise money for Angel Tree's summer camp program (trying to send 49 kids to summer school at $250 per kid). He's been collecting change all week and talking about how he wants to do a lemonade stand and hopes to raise at least $2.25.

So last night we held a lemonade stand. The first car pulled up... she asked how much and I told her we were collecting spare change for Angel Tree and offered that we're asking for whatever spare change she can find. "If you've got a penny," I told her. "You've got plenty." She gave me a five. I was stunned. I asked her if she wanted change or 30 -40 more cups and she said no and drove off.

It was like that all night. Some people gave fives, others a dime or whatever they had. One guy was jogging and, of course, didn't have any money. My son gave him a drink and a few minutes later the jogger came back with 3 bucks. People started loitering... waiving at cars and telling them what we were going.

It was beautiful. I was so humbled by God, my neighborhood and my son.

I didn't think much would come of the stand. I thought $2.25 would be the most we could expect. In the end, we took in over $60. How about that?

Thank you God. Thank you neighborhood. Thank you son.

No comments: